People and Planet units are a unique feature of Macquarie's undergraduate curriculum. They enable students to achieve the breadth of understanding required by today's graduates by requiring them to study outside their primary discipline. People and Planet units enable students to understand the challenges and issues facing the world at present and develop the capacity to be engaged and ethical local and global citizens. In essence, People units are designed to give students an understanding of what it means to live in the social world, and to develop cultural or social literacy. Planet units enable students to develop scientific literacy and to understand what it means to live in the physical world.
People units by code
- ABST - Aboriginal Studies
- ACBE - Academic Communication in Business and Economics
- ACSC - Academic Communication in Science
- ACSH - Academic Communication in the Social Sciences and Humanities
- AFAS - Applied Finance and Actuarial Studies
- AHIS - Ancient History
- AHMG - Ancient History Modern Greek
- ANTH - Anthropology
- BBA - Business Administration
- BCM - Bachelor of Community Management
- CUL - Critical and Cultural Studies
- DANC - Dancing
- DEM - Demography
- ECH - Early Childhood Education
- ENGL - English Literature
- ENV - Environment and Geography
- ENVG - Human Geography
- EUL - European Languages (general)
- GEN - Gender Studies
- GEOS - Earth Sciences
- LING - Linguistics
- MAS - Media and Communication Studies
- MHIS - Modern History
- MKTG - Marketing
- MUS - Music
- PHL - Philosophy
Criteria for selection of people units and planet units
- To satisfy the requirements of Rule 4(5) of the Bachelor Degree Rules, a Program of Study for a single Award must include:
- (i) one unit taken from Part 2 of this Schedule and one unit taken from Part 3 of this Schedule, and
- (ii) one of those units must be taken outside the Department administering the Program of Study or Qualifying Major which the student is admitted to, and the other such unit must be taken outside the Faculty administering the Program of Study or Qualifying Major which the student is admitted to.
- To satisfy the requirements of Rule 4(5) of the Bachelor Degree Rules, a Program of Study for a Combined Award, Double Award or concurrent Award must include:
- Where any additional criteria for selection of People units and/or Planet units are stipulated in the Schedule of Programs of Study Currently Open For New Admissions, these criteria supersede the criteria in this Schedule of People units and Planet units in relation to the Programs of Study in which they appear, and only do so to the extent that they are inconsistent with this Schedule of People units and Planet units.
- Units which are designated by the Schedule of Programs of Study Currently Open For New Admissions as required to qualify for an Award and/or units which are credited to qualify for a major in an Award may not be credited for the purpose of satisfying the People unit or Planet unit requirements for that Award.
- A student may apply for Credit for Previous Study with regard to satisfying the requirements for a People unit or Planet unit.
- Unless it contravenes criterion (3) in this Schedule, the Academic Senate may deem a unit to be substantially the same in content to a specific People unit or Planet unit, and in that case that unit may be credited towards the People unit or Planet unit requirement, as appropriate, in the Program of Study which the student is admitted to.